Monday, September 5, 2011

Writing 3 Resources

Dear Parents and Students,
I've had a few questions about the kind of handbook that would be helpful for this class and for the students. I mentioned the books that was using for the class, including the Write for College book (from the Write Source series.) If you have this book already, it's a good resource for the topics concerning writing. However, it doesn't have grammar or mechanics reviews.
I think there are a lot of good resources out there. What I think would be most helpful is a book that includes a good review of grammar, correct formatting for footnotes and bibliographies, and some good priniples about style and organization. I really haven't found a "best" book .... I have a selection of them and home and find them all good and helpful.
Below are some books that I bought today at Half Price Books. If you don't have a book and one of these interests you, let me know. I've included an Amazon link. Writing 3 is my last class on Tuesday, and I can be available for a little while after class.
The Penguin Handbook, Second Edition, 2006 (paperback) for $7.99
MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, Seventh Edition (paperback) for $10.98
The Pocket Wadsworth Handbook, Fourth Ediction (spiral) for $6.99
A Pocket Style Manual, Fifth Edition (spiral) for $9.99
The Scott Foresman for Writers, Seventh Edition (hardcover) for $7.98
The New Century Handbook, Third Edition (hardcover) for $5.48

No comments:

Post a Comment