Friday, October 28, 2011

Writing 3 Class Notes -- October 25

Greetings!

I apologize for the tardiness of my e-mail for the class.  Sometimes life has more details than expected.

I had the students write for 15 minutes from one of the writing prompts in the SAT prep book.  I feel that every time we do the these writing exercises the students develop skills that help them think more quickly and clearly.

We talked at length about the rough drafts that they had handed in over the weekend.  I made some comments on each of the papers which I hope will help them with their organization and content.  On the next rough draft, I will go over specific grammar problems.

I handed out a number of papers that might help with revising and editing their papers, formatting their papers, and documenting their work. 

A couple of notes:
--  NEVER use "there is/are/was/were" etc. in your sentence constructions.
--  Check that each sentence and comment adds to your thesis and fits appropriately within the paragraph.
--  When thinking of expanding your paper, consider adding your own personal analysis of the issue.  Be careful not to add unnecessary information.
--  Regarding citing sources, I sent out an e-mail last week about some blog entries that have information on endnotes and bibliographies.  The students are responsible for learning the MLA guidelines and using them appropriately in their paper.

Check the following blog entries:
A Helpful Site for Research Papers
Purdue OWL
Another Helpful Web Resource

Students, feel free to send you papers, questions, or a portion of your paper to me for help.

Have a great week!  Enjoy this beautiful weather.
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment