Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Writing 3 Class Notes -- September 12

Greetings!

We started our class today with a Western Quick Write.  Last week my town Northfield celebrated the Defeat of Jesse James, and I thought I would extend the theme to my class.  I did my best to put on a cowboy/western accent.  The students can be the judge regarding how well I did.  I must admit that my cheap, fake cowboy boots only made it about 10 minutes through the class.

I skipped the SAT/ACT practice question so that we could spend more time on some difficult points of grammar and the research paper.

We did some pretty hard thinking during our Grammar section as we discussed phrases:  prepositional, participial, gerund, appositive, infinitive, and restrictive.  I could tell when their eyes started glazing over that it was challenging.  However, they stuck to it, and I'm proud of their hard work. 

The students handed in their leading questions and research plan.  We discussed some basics about finding good sources.  Next week we'll discuss taking notes.

Assignments for next week:
-- Check out any of the video grammar lessons, if necessary.
-- Begin your research and taking notes.
-- Have an initial list of resources to be checked in class.

Have a great week!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment