Thursday, October 11, 2012

Writing 3 Class Notes -- October 10

Greetings!

Once again, we had a great Writing 1 class.  I really enjoy working with this group of student.  Since I had a lot planned today, our Quick Write was brief.  Using the first line from Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities, "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times," they were to write the first line of the great novels they plan to write.  Or the last line. Or the title.  Even in brevity, they were creative.

We also took time to go over another ACT Writing Test prompt.  This question concerned whether uniforms improved a learning environment or denied a students freedom of expression.  We looked at this question from a different angle; whether than discussing the pros or cons of uniforms, I had them think about how a learning environment is affected.  I also had them think about how they might weigh a good learning environment against freedom of expression.


We are at Step 20 in our process of writing the research papers.  We discussed the rough drafts which were handed in yesterday.  We also discussed at lengths the Peer Edits.  Each student drew another student's names and will read through those papers this week.  Our primary focus is the content and organization of these papers.  Each student has a rubric to use for evaluating and making students. 


Peer Editing Assignments:
Danial has Amanda's paper
Ruth Ann has Lukes's paper
Elise has Drew's paper
Alayna has Elise's paper
Noah has Alayna's paper
Luke has Daniel's paper
Drew has Noah's paper
Amanda has Ruth Ann's paper



Some students need to e-mail copies of their rough drafts.  Please send them ASAP.
Drew to me; I will then send it to Elise.
Luke to me.
Amanda to me; I will then send it to Daniel
Ruth Ann to me; I will then send it to Amanda


Assignments for Next Week:
-- Complete the Peer Edit of your classmates paper.
-- Read handouts on Citing Sources
-- First draft of Works Cited page
-- Read handouts and websites for the MLA format.

It's time to get out the hats and mittens!  Enjoy the weekend.
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment