Thursday, November 15, 2012

Writing 3 Class Notes -- November 14

Greetings!

As always, we had a productive class.  I really enjoy this group of students.  For our Quick Write today, we played a word game, Give Me Five, that I had gotten while in England.  The game consists of a deck of cards with categories (Fruits and Vegetables, Items found in a Bedroom, Pets, Types of Meals, etc.) and letters of the alphabet.  Either I or a student drew a card, and the students had to write 5 things that fit that card. The students got points for any answers they had written that were unique; in other words, they were the only ones who had written that answer.  We played a few rounds.  I like activities like this because it 1) plays with words; 2) causes everyone to be involved; 3) forces the students to think creatively; and 4) is interactive and helps us to continue to develop good class dynamics.

We had another in-class writing activity.  I had the students write a paragraph or two about why they had chosen their topics.  As we're nearing the finish line, I wanted them to refresh themselves regarding their chosen topics.  It's very easy to lose that initial enthusiasm and get lost in the details of the researching and writing.  I asked each of them share with the class their thoughts and perceptions about their topic and their thesis.  Hopefully, they were encouraged by hearing from each other.

I handed back some rough drafts with my comments and corrections.  With the first draft, I looked for content and organization.  With this draft, I was primarily focused on mechanics and grammar.  I made a few comments about content, but for the most part, we're in the "fine tuning" stage.  We talked this week about looking at the paper paragraph by paragraph.  And then sentence by sentence.  I had one professor who challenged us by saying, "Pretend you have to pay for every word.  Since none of us wants to waste money, make every word count."

We also had some discussion about the MLA citation guidelines.  If the students have questions about how to cite a specific type of source, they can check one of these places:
Son of Citation Machine
Easy Bib
Purdue OWL MLA Formatting
Class Notes from Oct. 24 (which has other links to other blog posts)
Week 6 Handout
Week 10 Handout

No Class Next Week!  Have a great Thanksgiving!
Mrs. Prichard




No comments:

Post a Comment