Friday, December 5, 2014

Writing 3 Class Notes -- Week 14 (December 4)

Greetings!

We had another round of excellent Presentations this week.  Last week we learned about sleep, the Common Core, and homeless youth in the metro area.  This week, we heard about the Second Amendment from Hannah, stem cell research from Taylor, and fast food from Zac.  Each of the students spoke confidently and knowledgeably about their topics, and the class had insightful follow-up questions.  This is the time in the class when students begin to feel that their hard work is paying off.

Next week is our last week, and because we have 6 presentations scheduled for that week, we've decided that it would be good to start class a little early.  We will start our presentations at 8:45, sharp.  If any of the students have PowerPoint presentations, they should e-mail them to me before Thursday.

The final drafts of the papers are due on the last week of classes.  I've talked with the students about this due date and have told them that if they need an extension, they should talk to me about it.  Though I understand how life can be hectic and that it is sometimes a challenge to get everything done on time, I encouraged the students that if they need an extension to not let it go too far past that last day of class.  From my experience, I have found that once the class is over, students (and the teacher) lose momentum.

I'm including a link to the rubric that I will use to evaluate the papers.  The students have paper versions of the rubric.


I usually bring Christmas cookies for the last day of class before the break.  Feel free to bring any treats to help us celebrate the hard work this class has done all semester!

This week's links
Class Notes
Research Paper Rubric


Until next week,
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment