Sunday, November 15, 2015

Writing 3 Class Notes -- Week 11 (November 12)

Greetings!

Another good week at CHAT under our belts.  We only have 4 weeks of class left -- where has this semester gone?


I gave the students two options for the Quick Write.  Firstly, Veterans Day was acknowledged and celebrated on Wednesday, November 11.  I mentioned to them that this holiday was originally Armistice Day because of the armistice between the Allies and Germany that was signed at the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month.  It is also National Children's Book Week.  The students could either write about someone whom they knew served in the military, or they could write about a favorite children's book.

This week I handed back the second rough drafts that I had gone over looking for errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. These papers have really been a delight to read.  They've chosen such fascinating topics.  During class, I had the peer editing pairs sit and discuss their readings of one another's papers. Sometimes students are reticent about having people read their work, but I think  this is an important part of the process.   And they did a marvelous job.

When they finished with their discussions, I talked with them about some common challenges I saw in their writing.  As always, figuring out just where to put those pesky commas can be hard.  Mostly, we talked about citing their work.  For some, Works Cited pages needed re-formatting, and for others the problems were with the int-text citations.  I made comments in the places in the papers where I thought they were missing a citation for the material in their papers.  I also corrected the format.  In the Links for this Week I've included the videos that we watched in class about formatting.

Next week we will finish up with questions and answers and will discuss the presentations.  If any students would like to hand in a 3rd draft, they may hand it in next week.  

Assignments for Next Week:
-- Presentation Plan draft
-- Revise and Edit the Rough Draft

Links for this Week:
Class Notes

Enjoy this beautiful weather!
Blessings,
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment