Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Writing 3 Class Notes -- November 15

Greetings!

We began class with a 10-minute Quick Write.  I gave the students 4 options: write about a current event, a global issue, a historical figure, or a personal passion.  They could either write about one, or come up with thesis statements for each topic.

For Vocabulary Building, we used flashcards from an SAT list and used them to build a "Scrabble" game on the whiteboard.  We took some time to share ideas about best ways to learn and memorize new words.

After this, we spent most of our time going over the rough drafts that they had handed in last week (or over the e-mail).  I spent a lot of time going over each each paper, sentence by sentence.  These students had put a lot of work into their papers.  I'm really very proud of them.  I cautioned them about being overwhelmed with the marks and corrections that I had made.  My primary goal is that they learn about writing and the process.  I want them to be good writers and to learn from their mistakes.  I gave each student typed notes addressing mechanics, content and organization.  Please take time to go over papers and notes.  I'll e-mail notes separately.

We've adjusted the timeline for the paper. We don't have classes next week, and I decided to add another step in the process.  For next week, I'd like them to write a "reverse outline."  In this outline, they write a fresh outline from the work they'd already done.  This will help them to get a fresh perspective on their organization.  They are to go over the papers paragraph by paragraph.

Change in class timeline
11/22 -- no CHAT classes
11/29 -- Old plan --final draft; new plan -- reverse outline
12/06 -- Final Drafts and Presentation
12/13 -- Last day -- Finish Presentations & Party

Assignments:
-- Reverse Outline
-- Outline or plan for Presentation.

I'll be sending individual e-mails to each student and parent with my notes about their papers.  Again -- they're a great, hard-working group kids!

Have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving!
Mrs. Prichard

No comments:

Post a Comment